Sunday, October 6, 2013

Protein Pumpkin Bars for Fall 2013

PUMPKIN PROTEIN BARS 


These bars go quite well with my pumpkin protein shake!


1/2 C Splenda or brown sugar substitute of choice: I like "Ideal Brown Sugar"
1 heaping cup of Oat Flour
1 cup Low Carb Vanilla whey protein powder
2 teasp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp vanilla extract
4 lrg egg WHITES
15 oz. can raw pumpkin
4oz. of natural applesauce
1/2 C unsweetened almond milk

chopped nuts are optional
Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and all wet ingredients in a different bowl
Combine the two bowls, try not to over stir
It will be the consistency of thick cake batter
spray or grease a  9x13 baking dish (I use a glass dish)
bake on the middle rack at 350 for 30 minutes or until the middle is firm and toothpick comes out clean.

When they cool I cut them into squares and individually wrap them, for a convenient on the go healthy snack. Store them in the fridge or freezer. With that protein, they do not last on the counter very long.
These bars don't need frosting but to please my kid I whipped up this version of sticky cream cheese frosting and it turned out pretty tasty!

"Protein Cream"
4oz FF Cream cheese
1 teasp Vanilla extract
1teasp Truvia
1/2 Tablespoon FF milk (add more if you like it thinner.)
1 scoop low carb vanilla whey protein
blend with handmixer

Store in the fridge!

I hope you all ENJOY these treats as much as my family and I have!



1 comment: