Saturday, July 21, 2012

Time for a leg workout!



Progress is slow but I am pretty pleased that I am able to keep adding more weight to my lifts and (very slowly) I am feeling stronger and stronger!  So my words of wisdom today are,,, "Add more weight!"  If it is "kinda easy" you definitely need to add some more weight!  I think that's one problem woman have is being afraid to put some weight on the bar!  No offense to anyone but ya know those gals you see lifting the 5 pound weights everyday in the gym?? They have so much more potential they haven't tapped into yet!  Here's how...
(Warning::: I was very sore after this leg workout!)

(Pyramid) LOW Squats on the smith machine: Warm-up set do 15-20 reps with 60lbs. 
THEN,100lbs, do six sets total with 30-60 second rest between sets-  3reps, 4reps, 5reps, 5reps, 4reps, 3reps.  (hints: feet forward, let the bar roll down your back between your shoulder blades just a little so it is NOT resting right on your neck, lean back into the bar just a bit and you should be able to get a really low drop.  As soon as you come to the bottom, power up using the back side of the legs.  Don't stall out at the bottom!)

Superset for three sets:
   Front/ back lunges holding 15lb Dumbbells 10 left leg, then 10 right leg
<
   10 Squats using the 45lb straight bar with 25lb DB's hanging from each end of the bar with the thick "elite fitness band" These DB's are hanging down about a foot from the bar and they do sway if you are not stable.  I love this one because you really have to hold your core tight and be slow and controlled. 
 The dumbbells hanging from the long straight bar.


A closer look of how to hang the DB! be sure to make both sides look identical or you will be extremely lop-sided!


Superset for four sets:
   Leg extension machine 50-70lbs- 12 reps!(point the toes up! This really works the vastus medialis (inside) and lateralis (outside) right above the knee)
<
  Squat Pumps holding a 15lb DB for 30 seconds. "pump it" up and down!  You don't have to go real low but keep your butt back, don't let your toes go over your knees and put just a little weight on your toes.  I know this is "bad form" for a regular squat but think about focusing on your quads,,, it's like a "burn" after the leg extension machine! (thanks Tina and Justen for this one!)

Smith machine deadlift 3 sets:
50lbs -standing on a step, feet close together, 15 reps, keep your head up and power up through your glutes and hamstrings!  You could go heavier and less reps if you want to keep with the "heavy leg day."  But, by the time I get to the end of this workout my legs are really crying out to ease up so I listen to my body!

You should be pretty sore after this one so you might want to stretch out good after this workout!
Let me know if you need me to post some pictures, I would be happy to do that next week!
Now go "lift heavy" girls!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment